Surgery scheduling templates reduce manual data entry work required, therefore reducing possibilities of errors. Using a predefined surgery scheduling template / standard order set allows you to reduce physician variability in addition to adhering to evidence based guidelines for a specific disease area.
If you are using our surgery scheduling workflow software, you can apply surgery templates to each surgery plan. Use surgery scheduling templates in the following cases:
- Your surgeons plan/order the same surgery procedure / CPT for a given set of diagnoses and co-morbidities..
- Surgeons order the same pre-admission laboratory tests (PAT) for a given set of diagnoses, patient demographics and co-morbidities.
- You notice that the same pre-admission diagnostic / imaging tests (PAT) are being ordered for a given set of diagnoses, patient demographics and co-morbidities.
- Your surgeons have a preference of a surgery facility or have specific hospital privileges.
- Surgery block times and days of week are already specified for your surgeons.
- Your surgeons order the same medications before and/or after the surgery procedure.
- History and physical / medical clearance, COVID clearance tests are always accompanied with the surgery orders (as they should be).
- The surgeon orders the same specialist clearances for a given set of diagnoses, patient demographics and co-morbidities.
- Your surgeons order the same diet(s) / place the same nutritional orders before and/or after the surgery procedure.
- You need to have the patients answer the same questionnaire(s) before the surgery procedure (e.g. ADL, allergy, medication history, etc.)
If your surgeon(s) elect for enhanced recovery after surgery protocols, you can create templates / order sets for postoperative protocols as well.
Surgery scheduling template including diagnoses
In most cases, your surgeons would order surgeries for specific diagnosis codes. These don’t vary tremendously. Whether you use our surgery scheduling software or use spreadsheets, create surgery scheduling templates for each diagnosis / disease form.
You can set surgeon specific preferences here. When you see a paper surgery order for a set of ICDs, you can easily choose the matching template to ensure that all the preoperative and postoperative protocols are adhering to evidence based medicine guidelines.
Surgery scheduling template – care team
Care teams would typically not vary greatly. Success in preoperative surgery scheduling depends a lot on the care team. The more you keep the care team involved, the better chances of a successful surgery.
Whether you use our surgery scheduling software or use spreadsheets, create surgery scheduling templates for each diagnosis / disease form that also include a care team.
Set up a demo
Surgery scheduling template – care plan
Care plans would typically not vary greatly either. Having a care plan in place allows you to tie things together both preoperatively and postoperatively.
Whether you use our surgery scheduling software or use spreadsheets, create surgery scheduling templates that also include a care plan.
Surgery scheduling template / order sets
Pre-defining surgery scheduling templates / order sets is what reduces errors and manual data entry tremendously.
Whether you use our surgery scheduling software or use spreadsheets, create surgery scheduling templates that include an entire order set.
A surgery order set would typically include:
- Surgery procedure order(s)
- Laboratory procedure order(s)
- Imaging / Diagnostics procedure order(s)
- Medication order(s)
- Referral order(s) to primary care and specialists for clearances
- Appointments that may include preoperative and postoperative ones
- Devices and implants orders that might contain
- Supplies and Custom Packs
- Instruments and Trays
- Implantable Items
- Diet/Nutrition order(s)
- Transportation order(s)
Surgery scheduling template – tasks
The biggest benefit of using a surgery scheduling software is (or should be) automated task management and reminders.
Whether you use our surgery scheduling software or use spreadsheets, managing tasks is key to success.
Set up a demo